About Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission: Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission is headed by the Chairman and comprises fourteen other members, all appointed by the Governor of Tamil Nadu, in accordance with the above provisions of the Constitution of India.
Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission selects the candidates in the following selection procedure.
Preliminary Examination Pattern
|Subject||Duration of exam||Total marks||Number of Questions|
|General Tamil (SSLC Standard) (100 Questions)
General Studies (Degree Standard)
Aptitude and Mental Ability Test
General English (S.S.L.C. Standard)
Total – 200 Questions
Main Examination Pattern
|Subject||Total Marks||Duration of the Main examination|
1.(a) Tamil to English Translation
(b) English to Tamil Translation
2. Precis Writing
4. Hints Development
5. Essay Writing (General)
6. Letter writing (Official)
7. Knowledge in Tamil Language
|Paper-II General Studies
Preliminary Examination Syllabus
General English: (Part-A: Grammar)
- Prefix & Suffix
- Fill in the blanks
- Error Detection
- Odd one out
- Word Formation
- Identify the sentence
- Compound words
General English: (Part-B: Literature)
- Figure of Speech
- Appreciation Questions from Poetry
- Important Lines from Poem
- Biography of Important persons
- Oscar Wilde
- Dr. Karl Paulnack
- Comprehension Question from Motivational Essays
- British English-American English
- Comprehension Question from Description of Places
General English: (Author & Literature Work)
- Poem & Poets
- Authors & their stories
- Biography & Auto Biography
- Characters, Quotes, Important Lines of Indian Authors
- Nationality of story
- Folk Arts
- About Poets, Dramatists
- Famous Quotes
- Various Works of the Author
- Period of the poets
- Nature-centered Literary works and global issue Environment & Conservation
- Theme observed in Literary Work
Group 2 General Studies Syllabus:-
Unit-I: General Science:
- Scientific Knowledge and Scientific temper – Power of Reasoning
- Rote Learning Vs Conceptual Learning – Science as a tool to understand the past, present, and future.
- Nature of Universe – General Scientific Laws – Mechanics – Properties of Matter, Force, Motion, and Energy – Everyday application of the basic principles of Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism, Light, Sound, Heat, Nuclear Physics, Laser, Electronics, and Communications.
- Elements and Compounds, Acids, Bases, Salts, PetroleumProducts, Fertilizers, Pesticides.
- Main concepts of Life Science, Classification of Living Organisms, Evolution, Genetics, Physiology, Nutrition, Health and Hygiene, and Human diseases.
- Environment and Ecology.
Unit-II: Current Events:
- History – Latest diary of events – National symbols – Profile of States – Eminent personalities and places in the news – Sports – Books and authors.
- Geography – Geographical landmarks.
- Polity – Political parties and political system in India – Public awareness and General administration – Welfare-oriented Government schemes and their utility, Problems in Public Delivery Systems.
- Science – Latest inventions in Science and Technology
- Economics – Current socio-economic issues.
Unit-III: Geography of India:
- Location – Physical features – Monsoon, rainfall, weather, and climate – Water resources – Rivers in India – Soil, minerals, and natural resources – Forest and wildlife – Agricultural pattern.
- Social geography – Population density and distribution – Racial, linguistic groups, and major tribes.
- Transport – Communication.
- Natural calamity – Disaster Management – Environmental pollution: Reasons and preventive measures – Climate change – Green Energy.
Unit-IV: History & Culture of India:
- Indus valley civilization – Guptas, Delhi Sultans, Mughals, and Marathas – Age of Vijayanagaram and Bahmani Kingdoms – South Indian history.
- Characteristics of Indian culture, Unity in diversity – Race, language, custom.
- Change and Continuity in the Socio-Cultural History of India.
- India as a Secular State, Social Harmony.
Unit-V: Indian Polity:
- Constitution of India – Preamble to the Constitution – Salient features of the Constitution – Union, State, and Union Territory.
- Union Executive, Union legislature – State Executive, State Legislature – Local governments, Panchayat Raj.
- Citizenship, Fundamental Rights, Fundamental Duties, Directive Principles of State Policy.
- Election – Judiciary in India – Rule of law.
- Spirit of Federalism: Centre-State Relationships.
- Corruption in public life – Anti-corruption measures – Lokpal and Lokayukta – Right to Information – Empowerment of women – Consumer protection forums, Human rights charter.
Unit-VI: Indian Economy:
- Nature of Indian economy – Five-year plan models – an assessment – Planning Commission and Niti Ayog.
- Structure of Indian Economy and Employment Generation, Land reforms and Agriculture – Application of Science and Technology in agriculture – Industrial growth – Rural welfare oriented programs – Social problems – Population, education, health, employment, poverty.
- Sources of revenue – Reserve Bank of India – Fiscal Policy and Monetary Policy – Finance Commission – Resource sharing between Union and State Governments – Goods and Services Tax.
Unit-VII: Indian National Movement:
- National renaissance – Early uprising against British rule – Indian National Congress – Emergence of leaders – B.R.Ambedkar, Bhagat Singh, Bharathiar, V.O.Chidambaranar, Jawaharlal Nehru, Kamarajar, Mahatma Gandhi, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, Thanthai Periyar, Rajaji, Subash Chandra Bose, and others.
- Communalism and partition.
- Different modes of Agitation: Growth of Satyagraha and Militant movements.
Unit-VIII: History, Culture, Heritage, Socio Culture movements in Tamil Nadu
- History of Tamil Society, related Archaeological discoveries, Tamil Literature from Sangam age till contemporary times.
- Role of Tamil Nadu in freedom struggle – Early agitations against British Rule – Role of women in the freedom struggle.
- Thirukkural : (a) Significance as Secular literature (b) Relevance to Everyday Life (c) Impact of Thirukkural on Humanity (d) Thirukkural and Universal Values – Equality, Humanism, etc (e) Relevance to Socio – Politico-Economic affairs (f ) Philosophical content in Thirukkural
- Evolution of 19th and 20th Century Socio-Political movements in Tamil Nadu – Justice Party, Growth of Rationalism – Self Respect Movement, Dravidian movement and Principles underlying both these movements, Contributions of Thanthai Periyar and Perarignar Anna.
Unit-IX: Tamil Nadu Development Administration:
- Human Development Indicators in Tamil Nadu and a comparative assessment across the Country – Impact of Social Reform movements in the Socio-Economic Development of Tamil Nadu.
- Social Justice and Social Harmony as the Cornerstones of Socio-Economic development.
- Political parties and Welfare schemes for various sections of people – Rationale behind Reservation Policy and access to Social Resources – Economic trends in Tamil Nadu – Role and impact of social welfare schemes in the Socio-economic development of Tamil Nadu.
- Education and Health systems in Tamil Nadu.
- Achievements of Tamil Nadu in various fields.
- Geography of Tamil Nadu and its impact on Economic growth.
- e-governance in Tamil Nadu.
Aptitude & Mental Ability:
- Simplification – Percentage – Highest Common Factor (HCF) – Lowest Common Multiple (LCM).
- Simple interest – Compound interest – Area – Volume – Time and Work.
- Ratio and Proportion.
- Logical Reasoning – Puzzles-Dice – Visual Reasoning – Alphanumeric Reasoning – Number Series.
Group-2 Main Examination Syllabus 2022
TNPSC Group 2 Main Examination will be descriptive in nature. It comprises two papers: Paper I and Paper II.
- Paper, I has two questions Tamil to English Translation and English to Tamil Translation.
- Paper-II has 10 questions from Precis Writing, Comprehension, Hints Development, and Essay Writing on Thirukkural and Letter writing.
- Title 1 – Precis writing
- Title 2 – Comprehension
- Title 3 – Hints Development
- Title 4 – Essay writing on the following topics from ‘Thirukkural’
(a) Significance as a Secular literature
(b) Relevance to Everyday Life
(c) Impact of Thirukkural on Humanity
(d) Thirukkural and Universal Values – Equality,
(e) Relevance to Socio- Political- Economic Affairs
(f) Philosophical content in Thirukkural
- Title 5 – Letter writing – Official
Paper-I & Paper II Syllabus:
- Origin and Development of Tamil Civilization: From classical antiquity to modernity.
- Sangam Period Literature along with the historical events related to Language Development.
- Musical Tradition of Tamil Nadu – Folklore – music, dance, Musical instruments, and folk drama – From classical age to post-modern age with its modifications.
- Dramatic Art Form – Street Theatre – Folk Theatre – Conventional Theatrical techniques.
- Socio-Economic History – Overseas trade – evidence from classical literature like “Pattinapalai”.
- Rationalist Movements – Dravidian Movement and Self Respect Movement.
- Contribution of Social Reform Movements in the implementation of Social Welfare Measures and Socio-Economic Development of Tamil Nadu – Reservation Policy and its Benefits – Contribution of Social Justice and Social Harmony in the Socio-Economic Development of Tamil Nadu.
- Feminism – Socio – feminism, Literary feminism – Different Concepts and Perceptions.
- Contemporary Tamil Language – Computer Tamil Diction – Legal Tamil – Tamil as Administrative Language – New genres.
Descriptive Paper Syllabus:
Role and Impact of Science and Technology in the Development of India and Tamil Nadu:
- Nature of Universe
- General Scientific Laws
- Scientific Instruments
- Inventions and Discoveries
- Physical Quantities, Standards, and Units
- Mechanics and Properties of matter, force, motion, energy, heat, light
- Acids, Bases, and Salts
- Fertilizers, Pesticides, Insecticides
- Main concepts of Life Science
- Classification of a living organism
Administration of Union and States with special reference to Tamil Nadu
- State government organization
- Structure functions and control mechanism
- District Administration
- Role in People’s Welfare oriented programs
- Industrial Map of Tamil Nadu
- Use of IT Administration
- E-Governance in the State
- Natural Calamities and Disaster Management
- Role of Recruitment agencies in Union Government
Socio-Economic Issues in India/ Tamil Nadu
Population Explosion – Unemployment issues in India & Tamil Nadu – Child Labour Economic Issues
- Sanitation – Rural & Urban
- Corruption in Public Life
- Anti Corruption measures
- Women Empowerment
- Role of Government in Women’s Empowerment
- Religious violence
- Terrorism and Communal violence
- Human Right Issues
- Education and Economic Growth Community
|Detailed Syllabus||Click Here|
|TNPSC official Website||Click Here|
|Go to Sarkari Result||Click Here|